After You Buy an Event Map, Admission is Free – Weekend of April 29-30
The Vanderbilt Museum and 11 other Huntington area historical organizations, museums and a library are collaborating to offer the “2017 Time Machine Adventure Museum Challenge: A Historic Treasure Hunt for the Whole Family” on Saturday and Sunday, April 29-30, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
“The goal of this event is to have fun, while learning about your hometown,” said Robert Hughes, Town of Huntington historian, who coordinated planning for the event.
“Admission to all the museums and organizations is free with the purchase of an event map. You can buy one from one of the sponsoring organizations. A group of two adults and any number of children needs only one map. You can start at any museum you like, visit in any order you like and, of course, finish at any museum you like.”
The map/passport for the event – $20 in advance or $25 the day of the event – is available from these sponsoring organizations: Cold Spring Harbor Firehouse Museum, Greenlawn-Centerport Historical Association, Heckscher Museum of Art, Huntington Historical Society, Northport Historical Society & Museum, Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium, The Whaling Museum & Education Center of Cold Spring Harbor, and Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site.
Other sponsoring participants are Half Hollow Hills Historical Association, Half Hollow Hills Library, Huntington Division of Cultural Affairs, and Huntington Town Historian.
(Please note: The Walt Whitman Birthplace is open for the Adventure only on Saturday. Admission to the Vanderbilt Museum does not include a guided Mansion tour or Planetarium show.)
The fun includes discounts for hungry adventurers offered by five local restaurants (see list below). Event website: www.GoHuntingtonHistory.org.
The winner is anyone who completes the Adventure, Hughes said. For more information, or to ask questions on the day of the Challenge, call the Town Historian’s office at (631) 351-3244.
Hughes added that the Town of Huntington is “blessed not only with a rich history, but also with an abundance of organizations working to preserve that history. The Time Machine Adventure Museum Challenge is intended to help people discover that history and the groups working so hard to preserve it.”
The event will have three identical raffle baskets filled with books, admission tickets, memberships and other items, with a value of more than $400.
Throughout the day, five local restaurants noted on the Time Machine Adventure map will offer discounts to Adventure participants, valid ONLY for that weekend:
- Copenhagen Bakery, 75 Woodbine Avenue, Northport; 20% discount.
- Whale’s Tale Restaurant & Harbor Head Brewery, 81 Fort Salonga Road, Northport; two free pints or a free appetizer.
- Village Creperie Café, 335 New York Avenue, Huntington; $1.00 off each crepe.
- Black & Blue Seafood Chophouse, 65 Wall Street, Huntington; 10% discount.
- The Gourmet Whaler, 111 Main Street, Cold Spring Harbor, 10% discount.
Here’s how the Challenge works:
- After you visit each museum listed, make sure to have the appropriate box on the map stamped to show you visited. Also, be sure to remember to fill in the answer to the fun question about each site visited.
- If you have visited at least four museums, you will receive a limited-edition Town of Huntington 350th Anniversary lapel pin – and you will be entered in a raffle to win a basket of Huntington-related items. Visit additional museums to receive additional chances to win the raffle.
- Have your answers checked by a volunteer at the last museum you visit to receive ticket(s) for the raffle.