Love to dance in the warm evening air? Want to learn new steps? Bring your friends to the Vanderbilt’s Mid-Summer Night dances, held on most Thursday evenings.
Each week’s dance begins with instruction in a different dance step – from Merengue, West Coast Swing, Foxtrot and Bachata, to Rumba, East Coast Swing and Salsa.
On opening night, June 29, guest instructor Alfred Peña of Rhythmology will teach Bachata lessons before dancing begins. Peña and his dancing partner, Aleksandra Ola Kozłowska, took first place at the 2011 U.S. Open Bachata Championship in Oakland, California. The evening includes a special performance by Rhythmology Kids. Singles, couples and groups of friends who have attended the popular dances over the past five years have called them delightful and fun.
This summer dances begin June 29 and are held on most Thursdays through August 31. The evenings – which have become some of the Museum’s most popular events – are held rain-or-shine in the Celebration Tent next to the Vanderbilt Mansion, overlooking Northport Bay.
Dances start at 6:30 with professional instructors teaching the featured dance step of the week for 30 minutes, followed by a deejay playing music for dancing of all types (Swing, Ballroom, Rumba and Disco, among others). Attendees are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and beverages.
Tickets: $22 online (www.vanderiltmuseum.org) or $30 at the door. The dances are co-produced by the Vanderbilt Museum and C & D Productions, Inc.
- June 29: Bachata by Alfred Peña of Rhythmology, with special performance by Rhythmology Kids
- July 6: West Coast Swing by Ellen McCreery
- July 13: Foxtrot by Antz Joseph with Charla
- July 20: Merengue by Charlie Wood
- July 27: Rumba by Patti Panebianco, with performance by Patti Panebianco’s Kids
- August 17: East Coast Swing by Ed and Maria of SDLI
- August 24: Hustle with Donna DeSimone
- August 31: Salsa by Alfred Peña of Rhythmology